View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Always going bust to set over set?

[ QUOTE ]

1. Given the above scenario, did I play this hand correctly. If not what should I have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]
The only chance you had to get away reasonably was preflop. Low pairs are not a gold-mine. They are marginal hands. Almost no one is winning a lot with middle pairs, and low pairs flop fewer straight draws and are more vulnerable to other sets. Running into a higher set often costs you your stack, so although it is rare, it has a significant effect on the value of a marginal hand.

That said, I think it was right to limp as you did in a microstakes game where the players tend to be more passive, and will tend to overvalue their hands and pay you off once you hit.

Against some tight opponents, or ones you can identify as set-miners, you can get away from some bottom sets. However, it's not very valuable to do that when the stacks are less than about 150 BB. Much more important is to try to maximize the value you get from weaker hands and to protect your hand from draws, since these are much more common and the value you can get is large relative to your stack.

[ QUOTE ]
should I be folding maybe 66 and below even to no raise,

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes. It feels great to flop a set and get paid off, but don't confuse fun with profit. If someone behind you is loose and aggressive, and is raising a lot of pots after limpers, then it might be clearly right to fold 66 to no raise. In case that player picks up AA, and you flop a set, you will probably be able to get all of the money in, and you will probably win. However, you are not nearly as likely to get paid off enough when he is loose enough to raise weaker hands like KJ, and is much less likely to want to put his whole stack in.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand at this level it should be fairly tight abc poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is one of many types of winning styles.

It is often incorrectly stated that when your opponents are loose, you should play more tightly. Actually, when your opponents are loose, that adds more dead money and makes many marginal hands profitable, so you can play slightly more loosely, and should if you want to maximize your prfits. However, you can also play tightly and still profit. When your opponents play badly, you may be able to choose from many ways to exploit them.

[ QUOTE ]

I will limp in any pos with any pp in unraised pot

[/ QUOTE ]
You should raise a lot of the higher pairs for value. You only said you would raise high pairs in late position, but you should find it profitable to raise with 88 or 99 in middle position, and of course late position, too.

By the way, if everyone has folded in front of you, then it is usually right to raise any hand worth playing in middle or late position. If you don't think it is profitble to raise, it probably isn't profitable to open-limp, although over-limping may be profitable.

[ QUOTE ]

I will limp in early with AJ, AQ, AT

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you should fold ATo, and quite possibly AJo, in early position. Some people also fold AQo UTG, although I believe it is profitable to limp with that. If you are playing 6-handed, there is no early position, and you probably should raise these, although ATo can be marginal.