View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: idea about resolving disputes

[ QUOTE ]
i want nick b to weigh in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] mat

i think one of the biggest problems is that some people love to speak in broad platitudes ("nobody should ever get banned for this," "doing something like that is just plain stupid no matter what," etc) and just assume that whatever they like or think based on their own forum should apply to everyone. if people would simply look at what is good for the particular forum in question - in other words, 95% of the time, what that forum's users want - it would stop with a lot of the bickering.

basically any time i am making a post about what someone does in their own jurisdiction it is a SUGGESTION unless they did something in violation of the very few rules and precedents we have site-wide, and i try to phrase it as such.

if you create more specific site-wide rules, or create mod supervisors or meta-mods or floating mods or whatever, it will take some discretion away from the rest of us (something we would generally be against) but possibly resolve some of the ambiguity and turfishness that leads to infighting. i personally think that the strife arising from the former, and the subsequent power struggles / brown nosing / etc that would follow, would make things worse, not better, and more generally would detract from the unique and varied culture of the 2p2 sub-forums.

in general, i would rather have more rules from the admins than have another layer of people who have jurisdiction over me or what i do.