View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

[ QUOTE ]
Well, IT is no understatement that I will never enjoy baseball the same way after this year. It seems I take losing in the playoffs a lot better than most die-hard Met fans but I just can't tolerate this. The Mets have ruined the month of October for me, I won't be able to watch a game and will get irritated when anything about baseball even comes up.

Maybe its because I'm knowledgable enough to know that all 8 teams are dogs to win the WS every year, no matter how good they are. Regular season performance doesn't really have variance if you are the Mets, and blowing a 17 game lead with 7 to go is virtually impossible. If for the Mets this lead means nothing, how can I seriously enjoy games in mid July anymore? Obviously I'm still going to be a fan but I think being a die-hard fan may have died for me this year.

Considering how much I enjoy playoff baseball (even when the Mets aren't there) just because I love the game so much, this is just devestating to me. Now I really can't even enjoy October. Thanks for ruining an entire month for me boys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this doesn't happen like this every year. And sometimes it happens in reverse, that team that you didn't think could do anything right does everything right at the most unlikely and important moments. And one season like that will make up for all of the horrible failures. That's why you are a true fan, to ride with your team through the worst so when they finally reach that pinnacle it will be the sweetest satisfaction you will ever feel. So sweet that every Met who booted a grounder, blew a save, or struck out with the winning run on base during this horrible month, you will blissfully forgive.

And there are two games left. I know it seems impossible now, but you still have a chance. Just imagine the pride you will feel if this beat up, deservedly maligned team and bullpen, turns it all around and is holding that ridiculous but still beautiful trophy above their heads at the end of October? Stick it out so you can say you never quit on them, just in case they don't quit on you.