Thread: hu killing me
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: hu killing me

[ QUOTE ]
think i have a game selection problem mainly because imo it's so hard to determine your edge sometimes. most of the time, in fact. this is because at 50/100+ your edge isn't going to be that large against most people, and secondly, it's unavoidable to let the run of cards you or your opponent recieves during the match influence your evaluation of their skill level or your edge against them. that is at least for me, but i'd be dubious if any one claimed they are immune to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is fair for the most part. A couple things...

One of the (if not the) most important skills for a HU player is to quickly identify if they have an edge, where they have an edge, how much that edge(s) is worth (qualitatively speaking at least), and leaving the game if you don't have an edge (or enough of one). If you can't identify that edge in 50-100ish hands you should probably quit and look for a better spot.

Obviously, the higher you play the less average edge you're going to have vs. a given opponent. With that said, I'll almost guarantee you you're using "the run of the cards" way too liberally as an excuse. You've probably played enough HU where you can almost involuntarily check off a mental list of spots where various opponents are exploitable. If you can't find anything/enough inside a certain number of hands just quit. Sure your opponent might be getting hit with the deck but if you can't identify anything exploitable your opponent is doing it's almost definitely not worth the time or variance.

Not to put you on the spot but let me ask you a couple almost rhetorical questions. When you were playing Reztes the other day...What was your edge? How many hands did it take you to identify that edge? Was that edge good enough where it wouldn't be better waiting 5 min, 10 min. or an hour for someone worse?

Finally, while some people might say the 30, 50, and 100 regulars are mediocre players, nitty, or whatever else the fact is that they have great game selection, they have the discipline to quit quickly if they are in a bad spot, and they don't let their egos get in the way.

There are probably better players out there (or those with the potential to be better) but they aren't nearly as successful b/c their lack of discipline keeps getting in the way.

This is what I've observed anyway...