View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Job satisfaction in poker

Good question. I've been wondering about the poker community and their "job satisfaction" levels. I think there is a percentage of the community that plays it only to make money, and then there are those that play it for the love of the game. For a while, I considered being a novelist. I thought because I loved books so much, that I would be a great writer. But I kept reading authors that said that you don't write to be successful or to make tons of money. You have to write because you love it. I found it to be pure drudgery. I wasn't nearly as passionate about writing as I was about reading.

With poker, I would play even if there was no $$$$ reward. Don't know what it is, but I am fascinated by each hand. There are frustrations involved, but I definitely love the game.

Having said that, there needs to be a balance. My playing poker doesn't enhance the world in any way, so I wouldn't necessarily give it the attribute of "satisfying" in that sense. So, for me, there has to be other things in my life that "contributes".

I'm curious how many play for the love of the game. I see some players and there is just no joy there.

I'm rambling...