View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Weak leads (way too late pooh-bah?) tl;dr

[ QUOTE ]
In your first example villain leads for 3/4 pot. I don't think that's a very weak bet.

[/ QUOTE ]It's not a weak bet. That's my point. The idea isn't that they lead for small amounts it's that they lead into a preflop raiser. With a strong hand *most* opponents will c/r or c/c and either lead turn or c/r turn, etc. A stronger line. When they just lead right into a raise on the other hand it is typically a weak made hand that they want to either get to showdown with or "find out where they stand" and fold to raise. In my experience they USUALLY fold regardless of bet size. With better reads, once you figure out what this means you can use the info to double barrell and so forth. Some players will lead with very strong hands, especially on drawy boads when they think you are loose... this is not standard. Get notes on them as well.

Leading weak with marginal hands is one of the bigger leaks that the average fish/donk has, if you find out what it means this gives you a tremendous advantage. Some of them will almost always fold to a raise. Some of them will always call down every street. Others call flop and fold turn. Some flopped the nuts and will shove after you raise.

The point being in general, against an unknown opponent, this is a very weak play and raising is +EV as a whole. Especially when you have a strong hand and this happens, value bet every street. The smaller the limit the more truth this is... and at reallllly small stakes (2nl, 5nl) they will often just shove over your raise with underpairs or on a pure bluff with overcards.

[ QUOTE ]
Villains that donkbet small, call my raise on the flop and donkbet again on the (seemingly blank) turn confuse me though...

[/ QUOTE ]This is typically a much stronger line. They are trying to induce another raise. Don't bite. A similar line is like minbet, minbet, shove. People do this with big hands.