View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Borgata PR sports betting charges being brought

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well I disagree. Bookmaking is illegal but not wrong, in my opinion. Loansharking (usury) I'm not clear on. What is its exact definition as distinct from banking loans or credit card loans?

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is when you default on your bank loan, a young telemarketer type calls you and tells you that your payment is late. When you default to a loanshark, he shows up with a bat at your house, to assault you in front of your wife and kids. Maybe two guys will use a pair of plyers on your thumb, etc. Get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have watched too many movies. Yes this can happen, but thats the extreme example.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in Brooklyn, where a lot worse can happen. I didn't want to get more graphic than I described. However, I have witnessed much worse and read about much more horrific forms of torture used by loansharks.

Remember, levels of violence have a tendency to escalate if left unchecked, especially with mob involvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hate to have you on a jury, you assume way too much.

I grew up in the adjacent town to where John Gotti Jr lives (Babylon), my childhood friends were the suns and daughters of associates and solders. I was surrounded by this since I was a kid, most of what you assume isn't true - its all about the fear that it could occur. A loanshark isn't dumb, he knows that if he breaks someones thumbs to collect a debt then the heat will be on him - which destroys his business. They are business men, they worry about things that normal businesses worry about like marketing, public perception, etc etc etc. Its bad business to create an upset customer, the customer's actions can put the loanshark out of business for good. Fear is a loansharks #1 collection tool, violence is very very very rarely used.