View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Modern Pascal\'s Wager adaptation: For real.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So we die, while generations after us get to live forever. Of course, this is just in theory. They will soon become overpopulated and die as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

How pessimistic!

First, there's definitely a chance some of us will live long enough. Have in mind that the progress of science will help to keep us alive longer and longer, and as I said there will probably be a point where scientific progress on the matter goes fast enough that they can "add" years to your lifespan faster than you "consume" them.

And about the overpopulation issue... There's plenty on earth we aren't exploiting to the maximum usefulness. And then there's space stations. In any case, if capitalism is still kicking, there's no reason to assume this technology will be available to everyone, so overpopulation needn't happen the way you say.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking about overpopulation! Even with our current lifespans and death rates, the earth's population is expanding at an ever alarming rate! You'd have to have one heck of a world-wide birth control awareness and responsible parenting campaign in place. Even if they were in full effect now, it will be a close race to see if we'd make it even with our current mortality rate (although I do think there's still time, we better get a move-on).

I believe you're grossly underestimating the problem of over population. The only shot is to get off this planet and either find new resources or self-sustaining ones. The chances that the human race will become instinct within the next million years is probably as close to 100% as you can get. That shouldn't be surprising. Almost all known species become extinct within that time.

And that's not at all pessimistic. If anything, it's optimistic. Personally, I think we'll bring extinction upon ourselves through destructive wars within the next couple of hundred years if not within our own lifetimes or our children's.