Thread: A-Q OOP !
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Re: A-Q OOP !

[ QUOTE ]
3betting AQ is oh so standard except against some really nitty players....You'll take it right there a lot and most of the times you don't you win with a c-bet on the flop. And most of the time I'd get my stack in on an A or Q high board.

People really need to open up their 3betting range. You can't just "3bet to set-up an easy all-in on a hand that's going to want it." 3betting hands as bad as suited connectors, low to mid-pairs will need to be done at vs. certain opponents...even 3betting garbage in the right spots will be +ev and also help to cultivate an image.

As played I just call the flop. His range is extremely wide (flush draw is a very small part of it) and there is no reason to raise.

Now he mini3bet you and now this spot sucks. I probably call and then check and call that turn shove. He could have a worse Q like KQ, maybe QJ or maybe like JJ,TT getting stubborn on the 1 overcard board or some stupid draw....or stupid bluff.

I of course would not be surprised to lose this to like AA,KK or perhaps 76s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't deny that lighter 3-betting can be called for, but at 25NL is the villain that you want to be doing this on all that common?

Or is it just a good move? My fear (and tell me if this is silly/wrong) is that the "standard" hands that I think most villains are flatting my 3-bet are JJ+ and AK. The difference between AQ vs. that range and AK vs. that range is pretty big, plus I'm now OOP, holding what is often a marginal hand (that's only hitting 1/3rd of the time anyway, and sometimes connecting on a KQx board).

Do you have any specific advice for playing 3-bet boards OOP with hands like AQ, or even suited connectors and such? Do you still 3-bet this vs. a guy that you figure will call you down with, say, 99 on a 338 flop? You say that sometimes you should 3-bet low/mid pairs. What board are you happy to get all-in with holding 66 without hitting your set? I mean, I understand it against a maniac or something, but what usual villain?

Is there a sticky on all this somewhere, too? 3-betting is a huge empty flatland for me.