View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: SportsCenter\'s Who\'s Now Tournament

Wilbon and some of the others seem to be getting more and more used to this contrived stuff by now.

I guess this is a slightly more dead-time for sports. You pretty much have some good MLB races, Wimbledon, and whatever the hell is happening in NASCAR.
And then the All-Star weekend is just a lot of HR Derby, minor-league all-star games, and guys buddying around and being really happy to be at the event, blah blah. And all the mid-season check-up type stuff that they'll do with the BBTN crew.

Haven't seen the Now stuff on Sportscenter yet. But I feel so old-school in that I really dislike the direction they have gone with a lot of this stuff.

Budweiser Hot Seat was the stupidest thing I ever saw right from the start. Do I really need a 2-3 minute segment to find out whether Bruce Willis is a fan of the Lakers or whatever?

The Sportscenter reset thing I thought was pretty strange too.

I think they don't mind as much making Sportscenter more entertainment and silly because now more and more people have ESPNNews.
So there's less of an obligation at SC to keep it so professional and journalistic and more of a feeling that now they can experiment a little and just do all those silly things.

The 50 states in 50 days thing actually wasn't completely terrible imo. Especially when compared to some of this other stuff.