View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Improving your speaking voice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
their posture, and other things of that nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. This is interesting. I was on the radio for a long time. Speaking was never something that bothered me. However, every time I saw myself on TV, I thought I looked stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without knowing what exactly about your TV appearance made you think you looked stupid, here are a couple of possible explanations I see frequently with my clients:

1. Poor body image: If you consider yourself fat or unattractive or have other body image considerations, then you may think you looked stupid because you are uncomfortable with the way you look.

2. Not enough motion in the frame (TV viewing window): If you aren't moving your hands and body in the appropriate way, you will appear stiff and robotic. A person that isn't moving at all presents a very uncomfortable vision for the viewer.

3. Too much motion in the frame: Conversely, if you are moving too much during your interview or appearance (dependent mostly on the zoom the cameramen are using) then you can also look stupid. A slight rocking back and forth that may be barely noticeable in a regular conversation is magnified in the high-zoom TV formats used for most interviews (think Hardball or O'Reilly Factor for instance).

4. Matching your gestures with your words: Many people have problems matching appropriate hand gestures and body movements to their spoken words for maximum impact. Great speakers know exactly what gesture or movement coincides with their message.

Hope that was helpful.