View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Default My NL venture, the story so far and recent development

After having had a good start with 25NL and some 50NL, past couple of days have been horrible. Until few days ago I had just broken 7PTBB/100 for almost 10k hands but now it’s all gone down the toilet. So I started thinking what am I doing differently. I must be doing something very wrong. So I sorted out the hands in PT and went over the biggest net losers.

One mistake that PT stats can’t show is that I became obsessed with my win rate, BR and winning every session. My BR for 25NL was at $595. All I could think was getting to $600.
I used to be death scared of Turn and River and didn’t really venture into that territory unless I at least had 2pair but mostly a set. I did c-bet more often than not but laid it down if I ran into resistance. Very nitty, but it seemed to be working. The threat of AI was hanging over my head and kept me in line. I lost a buy-in only a couple of times, and my nittiness was managing my downside. The PF play didn’t really change but I started peeling the flop a lot more. UI overcards. 1pairs and seeing resistance. Generally going past the flop too often.

I need to become a nit again. I also need to re-remind myself of certain ground rules, like where commitment threshold is. Need to safe-guard that BR and think of every dollar being worth thousand dollars. Stop being obsessed by BR and WR and just do the right thing and manage the downside, then upside will take care of itself. NL is a waiting game, you’ll get your set+ at some stage, until then make up your blinds by raising your premium hands PF and c-betting (within reason) them on the flop.

The following are some quick-fixes, sorry about the tautology. If I am able to incorporate the following into my play, I most likely will be leaving some value on the table but believe it will be more than offset by losing less. Sorry about the rant, all comments, suggestions and especially critisism, are more than welcome.

BIGGEST LEAKS FROM THE PAST 3 DAYS

1. Raising AK PF and flop misses totally, 345r, and EP donks – get out
2. Slowplaying made set/straights and letting others draw to a flush/boat – don’t
3. Flopping a set, villain calls every bet but bets big on the River on a drawy board – you don’t need to call to see what he has. And if he bluffs you off the hand, good for him
4. AA and flop comes all one suit, villain lets you do the betting – he has a possible flush
5. AK and flop misses, calling a raise on a paired flop
6. Spite-calling/betting all the streets when you know you are beat – you are on TILT, stop

SOME BASIC RULES TO FOLLOW

1. Do not bloat the pot with just top pair or overpair, even AA
2. Always raise “correct” amounts PF. Do not try to sneak in with premium hand
3. Don’t have to c-bet 100%, especially if AK, AQ etc and flop misses. Don’t have to call if c-bet gets raised and flop missed
4. If flop misses, get out, do not peel. You’ll get your chance later
5. C-bet gets c/r on the flop and flop did not help, fold
6. If raised KK PF and get re-raised, call, but if you don’t make a set, be careful, villain might have that AA
7. One pair on the flop is often not enough if villain keeps calling. In general, be extra careful with less than a set
8. Do not overplay AK, AQ etc on the flop, get out
9. Villain donks into PF raiser (you) on a dry board with lot’s of low cards, get out
10. Beware donks, raises and c/r’s on the flop
11. Only go past the flop if you don’t get that nagging feeling…