View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Back in the USSR

[ QUOTE ]
Its sad. Iron is a good guy with a big heart clearly. It's a shame he can't get past his good intentions to see the logic in this. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

iron really doesn't understand economics that well so he falls back on what he believes is liberal ideology. Of course John Kerry would have problems with iron's statment let alone Bill Clinton.

As an aside the Wall Street Journal had a good analysis of this agreement reached between the UAW and GM done in several articles this morning. Well worth reading IMO. FWIW I believe that unions are the strongest these days in the public sector and thats not too surprising. Contrast what government can do to guarantee benefits for retirees and what the private sector can do. That's basically the most important issue in the GM-UAW negotiations, retiree benefits. I think it's clear that being in a union in the public sector is much better.

And for MidGe, foreign automakers do have manufacturing plants in the U.S. and so there are alternatives for auto workers here. I read an article last week stating that VW wanted to start manufacturing cars in the US again and is coming with a plan to do so.