View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Baited and switched during interview: WTF?

Recruiter set me up for an interview for a Director level position. I've been in middle management for several years and this job looked like an interesting step up. I have a grad degree and 12 years in this line of work, the last 5 in middle management. The technology was a slam dunk fit - i've worked with these products before and know the engineering and theory behind them. So I was pumped.

Until I arrived on site and saw the printed schedule for my interview cycle in the HR woman's office. I mentioned, "I was under the impression that I was interviewing for a Director's position." She says, "Well, after reviewing your qualifications we thought you'd be a better fit for a manager's role."

I asked why they didn't consult me about this BEFORE I took the day off for this interview. I told her that I'm not interested in a lateral move, and that I was clear with the recruiter about this. I know the recruiter well (she placed me in my current job) and I'm sure she wasn't aware of this bait& switch.

I walked out. Didn't even thank them for their time. They didn't show me professional courtesy, so why should I waste my time with them?

Good play or not?