View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: The guy that takes the joke one step too far

[ QUOTE ]
Has anybody ever encountered a group of people that can laugh about something taken-too-far-after two-minutes for a whole hour? My housemates are exactly like this. We were just down the pub and the conversation turned to the fact that one of them had recently got some fish. Somebody else said, "I think that stripy one should be called Sue", Sue being one of our housemates who wasn't there. OK fine, I thought. Fairly [censored] joke, small wry smile, let's move on. They then manage to joke about the names fish could have for the next hour- no exaggeration whatsoever. "Imagine if that one fish was called Barry!" And they are laughing throughout the whole hour, and no drugs other than a very small amount of alcohol are involved at all. Three of the five of us hadn't even consumed any alcohol. I was so [censored] bored of this. I'm a very tolerant person, and I can sit there for an hour absolutely bored out of my mind. The thing is I probably looked like I was the one who didn't have a sense of humour. If I'd just shouted "For [censored]'s sake! Please stop talking about fish names! It's not [censored] funny at all", I would be seen as the party pooper, so to speak. My housemates aren't even abnormal people. All of them are pleasant enough and seemingly normal people. This makes me conclude that most people in life are completely boring. I would've been entertained by any topic in the area of sports, entertainment, politics, philosophy, whatever. But they talk about fish for a whole [censored] hour. I remember last year they had a conversation about one of them having seen a fox for about an hour. I can't think of anything so mind-numblingly boring as a conversation they are involved in, and yet I keep agreeing to go with them because I don't want to seem anti-social. I'm sure they would probably prefer I didn't go either because my ability to mask my depressing boredom falters after about 10 minutes and I just sit there trying to deaf them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I read this turdpile of a post and bigmonkey I have to say you need new friends. You just said you don't enjoy hanging out with these guys and they don't enjoy you being there either. Hmmm....