View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: How far has NL poker come? How far do we have to go? (abstract/lon

[ QUOTE ]

So true.

Sometimes I will make a certain play (usually a fold), and I will think "Wow, this is so exploitable." That usually turns into "I should not make an exploitable play".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think another big misconception about unexploitable play involves players having a very limited view of what is exploitable. I think people often fail to see the whole picture when thinking about unexploitable play.

For example, things can happen in a hand where you get put in a situation where your opponent makes a bet and you realize that you would be folding nearly your whole range in this spot, and your opponent knows it. You might think you are playing exploitably in this spot by always folding, and try to fix it by bluffing or floating. But in reality it is just an unfortunate and rare situation caused by luck and earlier actions, or you might have made a mistake on a previous street that precipitated this situation, but you need to fold.

Another time where I think people make mistakes is thinking that playing unexploitably involves a boring or mundane style. If anything, I would guess the solved form of poker involves even more crazy agression then we are used to seeing. I am pretty sure that things like semibluff 3 and 4 betting preflop especially on agressive squeezes and resteals, floating oop, and check raise bluffing with air are all parts of an unexploitable game.

I alsot think its easier to see these plays that make your game unexploitable when thinking about the game from a purely exploitive paradigm.