View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

I don't understand the obsession centered around debating these baseball contracts, especially when most of the debating is between NYY and BOS fans. I realize that if I was, for example, a KC fan and the Royals made a deal like this, it would be a huge risk and could hinder their progress for an extended period of time...but I'm not. I'm a fan of the New York Yankees, a baseball team. I care about their performance on the field, and that's it. Alex Rodriguez is the best position player in the MLB, and he will (most likely) be playing on the team I root for. I can't complain. I know that acquiring A-Rod is in the baseball team's best interest because they are able to take the risk.

Sure, there is a huge uncertainty about the ability of A-Rod in 7-8 years. Are they overpaying him the last few years? Who knows?

I do know that the people involved with the A-Rod negotiations know SLIGHTLY more than us about the risk/reward in this deal. I also know that if they are willing to give this deal to A-Rod, then it's in their best interest. Whether their best interest is winning baseball games, profiting from the deal, or both, I doubt the Steinbrenner's would make a deal if they figured the probable outcome would set them back (baseball-wise or financially).

I laugh when a person comes on here trying to ridicule a deal because of what they have heard on ESPN.com. For example, people complaining about the length of the deal when you haven't even heard of other deals over 7 years? Maybe, just maybe, there are discussions between clubs that don't get reported.