View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
They will still get Johan if he wants to be a Yankee. No point in trading 5+ years of Hughes for 1 year of Santana.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's really big "If". If he is traded by Minnesota, it would likely be to a team that is willing to resign him. Right?

Also, while I'm not talking about Joba or Hughes specifically, people (fans/GMs) tend to have an overinflated view of a young pitcher's worth. Look at this discussion above. People are debating whether Johan freeekin Santana, perennial Cy Young quality pitcher in his prime, is enough value in return for a young pitcher. This YOUNG STUD HAS A CEILING THAT IS... SANTANA! I'm thinking back to all the young can't miss prospects who's value has plummeted due to injury and general ineffectiveness (off the top of my head... Wood, Prior, Penny, Clement, Harden, hell- Ed Yarnall) and wondering what people think about those prospects now. When it comes to prospects, you just don't know who will work out.

And salary is a factor, but not enough of a factor to a team with the budget of NY. To land the premier SP in the league (having a clean injury history and is 28) is obviously tremendously valuable to a team that makes the playoffs every year and needs a stud to win in a short series. Banking on a prospect to become that star is a gamble, while Santana is as close to a sure thing as you can get.

http://www.waswatching.com/archives/...back_at_1.html