View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the Yankees trade Hughes or Joba for Santana I will stop being a fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? (Assuming Santana is signed long-term.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a stupid move. Both guys could turn out to have Santana-like dominance, and for a fraction of the price.

As for Pettitte, I said I could take him or leave him. I suspect he is coming back - he is good for pitching a lot of innings, a quality that's somewhat undervalued.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or both guys could turn out to be duds (we dont know how Joba will handle being a starter) wheres Santana has proven himself under pressure and is in his prime. And money shouldnt even be an argument here, the market for starting pitchers is way overinflated, so when it comes time to resign them even if they dont live up to expectiations you will likely be overpaying them.

[/ QUOTE ]

my head just exploded. how can you be overpaying them if that's the price set by the market? not everyone can be overpaying every pitcher past the age of 26 - that's a contradiction in terms.

as for letting a-rod walk - uh this lineup doesn't look all that good like this:

damon
jeter
abreu
matsui
posada
cano
betemit
1B (invariably some [censored]-hitting 1B)
cabrera

there's not that much power in that lineup. lot of guys who can hit 20 home runs but not many who can hit 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

That lineup looks like one of the best in the AL, and if the extra money is spent on pitching (I am thinking of options now, it will be more than fine.

Give me a few lineups in the MLB that are better than the one you just said.