View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: ***Official 2007 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS THREAD ***

The problem I have with the Chargers this year, and its what am hearing from you guys as well, is leadership. Right now, its LT's team. He's a great player and a great guy, but he's a running back.

Look at the Colts, clearly that's Manning's team. The Pats, Coach and QB are like one mind, unquestioned leadership on that team. Some teams have gone all the way with not great QB leadership, but they had dominating defenses, like Ravens and Bucs, or 84 Bears. Even then, the Ravens were led by Lewis and the Bucs had Gruden, the Bears, Ditka.

Rivers is still just a good young QB with a lot of potential. Manning wasn't the Manning that we see today in his 2nd year at the helm, Rivers is a coach's son, he knows the game, the players respect him, so I can see him becoming a great leader, but right now he probably is a few years away.

Norv Turner is just a glorified coordinator, he has nothing to do with the defense. I don't see how half a coach, especially a quiet guy, can be a great leader. I think Merriman sees the leadership void and rather than step up and be another focus on the team, he decided to keep a lower profile. I think that's good, Chargers don't need another pseudo leader.

Maybe I am making too much of this leadership stuff, its football, Gates is tall and fast, throw it to him, when Jamal hits you, who cares who the leader is, you are going down. Maybe LT is that good. If any team has the overall talent to overcome a leadership void at the traditional and seemingly critical positions of head coach and QB, its the Chargers. Of course...we shall see.