View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Restaurant refuses to sing happy bday to 6 yr old

Maybe he can't afford to pay somebody a reasonable enough salary to be in such a supervisor capacity.

From the owner's standpoint if you presented this idea to him he would think, "Why would I pay somebody to a job that I'm perfectly capable of doing? Isn't that wasting my money? How is sitting around doing nothing while I'm paying $50k/yr to some new guy going to help me?" (and, of course, they will generally think they know how to do the job better anyway).

Agree with ElD on the hostess part.
Some young girl is at the door and asks you "smoking or non-smoking."
They aren't usually there in a supervisor capacity at all in such casual-dining establishments.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were somehow slightly lower on the totem-pole than the servers even.
"Crap, she doesn't even know our menu yet and has zilcho wait-experience. Just have her greet and seat people. She can handle that, can't she?"

And finally, LOL at the insistence that you need to call ahead of time to confirm something like this.
I would say, "Yeah, I think they sing at that place. Does anybody know?"
somebody else, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do."
"Okay, then we'll give that place a try. Kid wants tacos and singing. I think that place will work fine."

Calling ahead for such details just to go out to dinner at a mexican place seems unbelieveably nitty to me.

Just show up, inform restaurant it's your kid's B-Day. Proceed from there. This is how most normal people would do it I think.