View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: An EDF Introspective: S.R.E.A.M.

Interesting OP.

I'd lump satisfaction of the sex drive in with satisfaction of other bodily functions in terms of how it might be necessary for a basic level of happiness. E.g., if you are hungry or sleepy or in pain then it is hard to be happy. Similarly if you have a strong sex drive that is going unfulfilled. Of course, with sex there is a whole host of social baggage that goes along with it -- most fundamentally, the fact that one's ability to obtain desirable sexual partners is widely and correctly regarded as a measure of one's own sexual desirability (and a lot of people measure their self-worth based on their sexual desirability).

I am skeptical that achieving any particular result with regard to sex and sexual partners can bring long-term fulfillment -- especially since for the vast majority of people it is a fight against time that they are destined to lose. However, I do think it is possible to cultivate sex and seduction as an art form of sorts, the same way it is possible to do this with, say, gourmet cooking, and get some satisfaction from that.