View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Good Samaritan Put to the test

Well BigPoppa is right, this is one of those things you do because you're a Good Person (or to convince yourself as much), and that is payment in and of itself.

I'm pretty bad at Good Person acts, the problem is they don't often come naturally so I feel guilty that I have to force myself to behave like a Good Person. It's like years ago I lived in an apartment near an old lady who was clearly on her last legs. She was legally blind or something and didn't do much but sit around and watch (or at least listen to) really loud TV. I stopped by from time to time for a visit, there was part of me that felt pretty badly about how much time she spent alone, and a part of me that felt odd just sitting around BSing with her and wondering if it was awkward for her too. This wasn't some Tuesdays with Morrie thing where she imparted a lifetime of wisdom, it was mostly just small talk until we ran out of stuff to talk about, then I left.

OP's conundrum is that if he does it it's not going to be a natural act, it's going to be forced or he would have done it already. So ultimately it will be a self-serving thing to do, it's just that in this case someone else benefits.