View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Personal / dating / whatever life situation general advice thread

[ QUOTE ]
Ok here goes.

I have lived with and half supported my brother for the last 5 years. The other half of his support comes from my parents. He works a very low paying clerk job and spends all of that money on himself. He is not retarded or non-functioning in any physical manner, he is just a lazy ass.

He started dating a female that was less than desirable in the view of my family and myself. He lied about even initially dating her. Since he was on our dime, he was asked to stop the relationship, or man up get a job, and start paying his own way. He claims to have broken it off. In reality he does not, he tells elaborate lies to cover it up. All the while he uses us to pay for all his fun and games with her. He lies to us dead in our faces about it all.

Naturally these lies catch up with him. Once again posed with the decision to break it off or no longer be on the family supported gravy train, he says he breaks it off.

2 weeks later she says she is pregnant, he now claims he loves her and is going to marry her.

This is very abridged version of the story, but I am trying to make it short to get some serious answers and not get TLDR'ed.

He is now asking me to be his best man and to possibly be the godfather of his child.

Accept or Pass?

Please give me your insight on why.

[/ QUOTE ]
Accept because you don't want to embarrass your brother in front of his girl. And I would accept the Godfather role because it's not the kid's fault he got shietty parents. The kid deserves better.

But after the wedding, I would tell the couple to go [censored] themselves [pun not intended] and start working. If they ever ask money for the kid, then make sure you go out and buy the stuffs yourself.

FWIW, your parents and to a certain extend, you are responsible for your brother's current state. If you guys didn't keep supporting him, perhaps he would have develop some work ethic. You'll be amazed how hard one works if he doesn't have anything to eat.