Thread: The Rivalry
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason SEC matchups like UGA/Florida get more respect than OSU/Mich St. is that Ohio State and Michigan are the only two teams in the Big 10 that ever consistently challenge for a national championship.

In the past 30 years the SEC has had Alabama (3), LSU(1), Tennessee(1), Florida(2), and Georgia(1) all win the national championship and Auburn went undefeated twice (once in 1993 on probation, the other in 2004 when they got shafted by the BCS selection committee.).

In the same time span Michigan and Ohio St. are the only Big 10 teams to win it all. (Penn State did win two before they joined.)

Is it fair? Maybe not; but that's the reason why our conference games are hyped more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Penn State was one play away from that National Title game 2 years ago. Do you think at all before you post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't really agree. I had this same argument with some PSU fans that stayed with us during the game this year. Sure, they were a play away from an unbeaten season, but no way would they have made it over USC or Texas, nor should they have. I mean, did you see that awful, unholy abortion of an Orange Bowl against FSU? The idea that a team involved in that game could have been close to playing for a national title is enough to make Baby Jesus cry.