View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: dell wireless utility screwing with my connection?

[ QUOTE ]
Now I'll try to help you with your problem.

I'll start by saying I do like Dell.

It sounds to me like you could possibly have a problem with the Dell wireless card. First off, you said you old laptop worked fine, so we can assume (for now) that your internet connection and router are working ok. I wouldn't blame the Dell wireless utility for your connection problems. I don't really like the layout of utility but it works fine. I honestly like the XP utility better and it does a nice job of managing the wireless card. Since you've tried both utilities and haven't been able to keep a good connection with either one, I don't see how you can blame Dell's wireless software.

I had a customer with a new Dell laptop and she had similar problems to yours. I'd advise you to do what I did for her; update the wireless card's driver to the latest release. You should be able to find this on Dell's site. Then if that doesn't work, call Dell. I assume this laptop is under warranty. I ended up getting Dell to admit the wireless card was defective and they sent me a new one to replace it. It is very easy to replace and only takes a couple minutes.

Sooo, I'd update the drivers and if that doesn't work, call Dell. It would also be helpful to know for a fact that the internet connection and router aren't causing the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the response. i'm sure it's not the internet connection because i still have my old laptop and the connection on that is perfect, never dropped and never slow. quite the opposite for my new laptop.

i'll try all your suggestions when i get home from work. thanks again.