View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I am so in love with her voice and songwriting talent (sorry if the image hotlink doesn't work):

Chrissy Hynde of the Pretenders combines the ability to wrench your soul with the swaggering braggadocio of a young street tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
her songwriting is intensely emotional, personal and uncompromising

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, I just wrote a long response in reply to this post (twice now) and lost all of it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. lol. blah.

Anyway, I love your description of Chrissie Hynde Origami. As far as vocals go I have to say that I love this girl's unique voice and when I listen to her it really is gut wrenching. Like Joni Mitchell she can make me cry. She's responsible for co-writing one of my favorite songs "I'll Stand By You." Beautiful vocals and I like her lyrics a lot.

Chrissie Hynde singing "I'll Stand By You"

Here's a quote from Billy Steinberg who cowrote the song,

Steinberg: "'I'll Stand By You,' like the other hits that Tom and I wrote, started out as a lyric that I had in a notebook. I had the title and the chorus lyric. Chrissie is a very, very strong songwriter in her own right. She's very ruthless, ....
I remember she would just take a pen and she would cross out any lines I had written that she didn't like, and usually the lines that she didn't like would be ones that were too tender or too poetic. She would toughen up stuff I'd written. On 'I'll Stand By You' she added lines and changed lines."

'I'll Stand By You' felt a little generic. I know that Chrissie felt that way too to some extent. I don't think she really entirely embraced it to begin with, but she certainly does now because when she plays it live, it's one of the songs that gets the strongest response. It's done really well for her and for us."

Anyay I really love the emotion in this song and think the lyrics they came up with are actually quite powerful even if they are simple. (And the opening line is one of my favorites.)

Oh, why you look so sad?
Tears are in your eyes
Come on and come to me now
Dont be ashamed to cry
Let me see you through
cause Ive seen the dark side too
When the night falls on you
You dont know what to do
Nothing you confess
Could make me love you less

Ill stand by you
Ill stand by you