View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: very tough spot with flopped set

OK I re-read it. Unfortunately it was worse the second time around. You said, "It's a horrible thing to do unless you play very well postflop," and "have a great image pre-flop."

All you need to do is play adequately post-flop and you'll do fine with baby pairs. Hell, while something like 77 is slightly more profitable than 33, the smaller pair is easier to play because you'll almost never be faced with a tough decision caused by flopping top or second pair.

[ QUOTE ]
but if your a bad player who lips with 33 and when it becomes a multiway pot then you check-call on a 5 way flop of 8 2 J because its ragged then its bound to be a losing play in the long run

[/ QUOTE ]Of course this is a losing play, but I'd bet that 99% of the Small Stakes posters aren't chasing two-outers with 33. Give them more credit than that.

[ QUOTE ]
if your opponents are just slightly observant they will call instead of raise with part of their range, and for others they will limp in more loosely because they think to themselves "if the guy who always is raising thinks its ok to limp, then the waters must be safe".

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't understand your first example. Why would they not raise, and how does it hurt you?

Regardless, UTG you have three types of hands: Junk; multi-way hands; Heads-up hands.

If I'm playing a multi-way hand like 33, I want people to limp behind me. I'm happy if they limp with hands they were going to raise, because it decreases the chance that their raise knocks out some of my customers behind them. And if they limp a hand they were going to fold, I don't care. The more the merrier, because I want a bunch of people in there paying me off when my hand hits.