View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: The immigration issue (YouTube Republican debate)

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain to me why the Republicans seem to be so rabid about the immigration issue?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is not just a Republican issue. Whenever I see a poll or discussion amongst Americans in general, the average Joe, either Repub or Democrat, wants the tide of illegals stopped.

[ QUOTE ]
So much so, that the crowd was booing a national hero (McCain

[/ QUOTE ]
McCain is due tremendous respect whether you or I agree with his politics, but he is far from a national hero, imo. Wouldn't referring to "national heros" imply some sort of nationalism or patriotism that you don't adhere to anyways?

[ QUOTE ]
The part from the debate that bugs me most is when the candidates try to use the phony argument that there are a bunch of "legal" immigrants lined up at the border, who can't get in because all the "illegals" sneaked in and "took their spots".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hear this argument much at all. I think it's more, "Why should an illegal who is breaking the law benefit immediately by side stepping the process, when a legal immigrant had to go thru the time and effort, legally, to gain lawful status."

The U.S. was founded on certain principles and has prospered under the work ethic, and pride of it's citizens. Approximately, 43 million men have served in the U.S. military in time of war, resulting in approximately 1.3 million deaths and another 1.5 million non mortally wounded to defend or promote those ideals. War Casualties

Not Mexicans, not Canadians, not Brazilians, or Nicaraguans, or Guatemalans.

I am quite sure Mexico and the other nations also have a rich national identity so why do they not give a rats ass about cultivating their own prosperity?

The American Identity will continue to exist only if the wave of Mexican, and Central American illegal immigration is brought under control. Unfortunately, the will power is not currently there, and you will not recognize the U.S. in 50 years if this trend continues. The invasion and voluntary forfeiture of U.S. national sovereignty will be well under way within that time.

Not to mention, by and large, the population of illegals are not educated. Great idea! Lets let in millions of people who are woefully uneducated and not willing to assimilate, whose children will vote in elections that will support politicians whose loyalties lie with Mexico and not the U.S. And in a few decades the South West U.S. will be Northern Mexico! Awesome! And the border didn't even move on the map!

It is statistical fact. Birth rates will dictate it all. This is not new news or hysterical reaction. It is what it is.

Whether you give a damn about it happening or not is the only question. I for one, would like to see the U.S. avoid becoming a Third World country.