Thread: Intuition
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Intuition

I am a dedicated poker player and my development has not been aided by books and studying the mathematics of the game. Subsequently I feel like I sometimes lack certain fundamentals, but can make up for this by making better reads and decisions.
I have one concern in my game at the moment.. that is acting upon situationally specific but common, repetitive betting patterns of my opponents. In the most important of hands, I am going to play based on their actions. There is always assigned a level of importance to a hand - that could be based on things like the size of the pot, tournament position, relative stack sizes etc.

Sometimes however I will pick up on a betting pattern of my opponent but not be able to act upon it. I'm not talking about something like "raised 3x from UTG" but much more specific encompassing different variables.
I'll pick up on them because I have seen them occur many times before - maybe at the same table, or another game altogether.
I can't act upon them because I don't know what it means yet - but I do know that it means -something- and is not random.

My question is - would you agree that with the more experience you gain, the number of these recognisable patterns increases and so does their situational complexity?
Would you then also agree that it becomes harder to define them as tangible? And if so, how do you go about identifying them as fast as possible?

Sorry if this sounds too obvious or too broad in perspective, or if it makes little sense at all!