View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Default NLHE player practicing PLHE: combo draw vs raiser

0.25/0.5 PLHE game, 4 handed.
UTG (50$) min raises to 1$. It's a loose and aggressive player. It's obviously the player I want to stack at the table.

Button (100$) calls.
I call from the SB with 50$. My hand=T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB calls with 30$.
Outside the blinds, I'd be reluctant to play that hand.

Flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4$, 4 players)
I flop an 8 out flush draw and a 3 out straight draw. Maybe i can add the 2 remaining sixes of the deck.

My plan is to let the loose aggressive preflop raiser bet. If he bets a "big" amount (almost the pot), i will check raise him, hoping to scoop the pot right now, and having 11 outs if we have a showdown.
So i check, and so does the BB.
Vilain bets the pot (i though "nice" as i would have disliked a mid sized bet), button folds.
If button had raised (or even flat called), i would have been a bit concerned about my low flush draw and the possibility to face a set.
But here I will be heads up with villain as BB will fold most of the time.
So i pot-check raise (16$) and vilain instantly shoves...
Damn damn damn...
At that time, I realize his stack is rather deep (100BB) and that I am gonna commit all my chips as a likely dog. (it would have been wiser to make the "deep stack" remark before my move obviously)
But I have to call (at least that's what i thought) and i do it quickly.

Vilain shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (open ended straight draw + bigger flush draw + top pair) and hits the flush on the river.
He pockets a 100$ pot [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What is your opinion on that hand?
After a few replies, I'll give more thoughts.

Obviously, adjusting from NLHE to PLO will be tougher that I expected...