Thread: My stats
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: My stats

[ QUOTE ]
It is probably optimal to see 4th 50+% of the time in those games, even if that's higher than the collective average. I've sat with my wife at the lowest levels of HORSE and O8 and have definitely found this to be the case. You have to give yourself as many opportunities as possible to outplay bad opponents.

I've read a story (I forget where) about a pro who resolved to play O8 for an entire year seeing the flop EVERY HAND. At the end of the experiment, he was up nearly 6 figures. I believe that he said that he proved his point, kind of: he won, proving that O8 is a postflop game, but he felt like he would have won a lot more had he been even a bit selective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let this be a lesson to all those in the "tight makes right" camp, and those up and coming players careening off in that direction. It's a fine idea for beginners who are likely to get outplayed on later streets even by awful opponents, but many pros and expert level amateurs have proven that once you're the better player in most situations you gain a significant edge by being in a lot of situations.

Question for PT devotees: take a look at OP's action table (the first one). His aggression factor on 3rd st is about 0.5, then jumps up to >1.5 for the next two streets. This says to me that the games are so loose that limping on 3rd in family pots is standard and it plays almost like a four street game with really big antes. Comments?