View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Help me totally change my eating habits... PLEASE.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Food: Grill chicken breasts, lean beef, etc. on your Foreman. Buy bagged salads and add some low fat dressing. Frozen veggies can be made quickly and made tasty with cheese, garlic, butter, etc. while remaining healthy.

Exercise: You definitely need to do cardio, and rowing machines are a good source. Definitely walk or bike whenever you have the chance, and possibly run or swim if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait until summer so I can actually BBQ some fresh asparagus. Do frozen vegetables actually taste good on the foreman grill? I've never actually tried to cook anything other than burgers and hot dogs on it.

What I find really odd is that if I went and played basketball right now, I'd be winded quickly. Yet if I go to the gym and bike for 35 minutes (on a high level, sprinting for a minute every other minute... this is in case I want to start playing hockey) I won't lose a breath. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

The exercise bike is a waste of time. You burn far less calories per hour than any other cardio activity besides maybe walking. That you get winded much more quickly playing basketball should not be a surprise at all. I see so many people at the gym not only on the exercise bike, but doing it half-speed while reading a magazine, and I'm just like, why bother?

Running is good, but personally I prefer the elliptical, as my feet blister easily. Really though, I think cardio is overrated in general. Good for losing weight/getting in shape initially, not so much thereafter. I did a lot back when I was first getting in shape, but now I'm eating healthy and on a regular weight-lifting routine so I consider it largely unnecessary. When you lift and add muscle, you increase the amount of calories you burn while resting.

Given your build I'd also recommend getting on a protein supplement (I recommend www.bodybuilding.com), preferably a low-fat one. You can lower your cholesterol and gain weight (muscle) at the same time.

Weight-lifting > cardio. (Although in your case it wouldn't hurt to do some at least for a little while.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was using the bike since that's what I read is great for hockey. I really just want to get into shape first, as I get winded so easily playing basketball. I didn't feel like I accomplished anything on the bike though, so I guess I'll try the treadmill. There's no where to really run around my apartments and I rather not look like an idiot.