View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Disadvantages of dating a doctor or med student...

I am friends with a young couple who are a school-teacher and med-student respectively. He puts in those 24-hour+ shifts at his residency and he's really tired A LOT but their relationship just looks awesome to me and they strike me as one of the healthiest couples I have ever known. Such impressions can sometimes be inaccurate but they are so respectful of each other and seem to be so healthy that I can't help but try to emulate certain positive aspects of their relationship into my own relationship.

Conversely, some of the stuff about your girl just seem so damn disrespectful of you as a person. This girl has issues and I don't think there's an easy fix.

My GF is a nurse at a pretty busy hospital and her stress really gets to her sometimes. Kind of tough to go about other parts of the day when some patient who you were just talking to ends up dying unexpectedly and you spent however long trying to save them.
Most of the time though she just spends all day changing IV's and helping patients go to the bathroom and dealing with occasional wacky blood, vomit and feces situations and I have no idea how people actually get used to that.

It's not exactly the same pressure and stress as being a med-student or going through a residency...but the general stuff about high-stress and long, over-tiring shifts are at least somewhat similar.
But she doesn't treat me like that nor would I tolerate it if she did. There's just no reason or excuse for it.

The subject-line of your post implies that her med-student status is the crux of your relationship problems and I really don't think it is.