View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Political ideology and investing

[ QUOTE ]
ROOF! ROOF!!! That's right, TREE!!! It's on now.

Hmm. Do you really mean I'm "barking up the wrong tree," or are you saying my assertion is wrong? There's a big difference.

If you really mean barking up the wrong tree, then.. OK? My bad? If you mean you disagree with me, then feel free to let me know what you disagree with and I'll be happy to defend myself.

It doesn't make sense to you that people who think hands on public policies are most productive will also tend to think hands on investment approaches are most productive? And vice versa? Why do you disagree?

Do you just assume you disagree, because the analogy scares you, since index funds can strongly be argued to be objectively more efficient?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever read any of my posts in the BFI forum? I haven't posted there much in awhile but I think it's clear from my posts that I strongly advocate indexing for most if not the vast majority of long term investors in the stock market. I had a long post in my original reply that I scrapped because I wasn't sure how much you understood about Portfolio Theory. Didn't want to get into it too much unless you're interested.

When I say you're "barking up the wrong tree" I mean that I have serious doubts about the correlation between people's political views and their investment choices. IMO FWIW you're delving into the area of investor psychology. Again IMO FWIW any discussion of investor psychology must include something about risk aversion. Put another way without a discussion of investor utility functions, discussions regarding investor psychology are basically not very meaningful.