View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Plug small leaks and get better at poker (very tl;dr worthy)

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. Clarifying question:

You say your goal is to get your WTSD down, but then you later say "My WTSD is still <32%, but..." Spider's FAQ advises WTSD of 28-32. Is the "<" a typo for ">"?

[/ QUOTE ]

good spot. Yes, thats a typo.

[ QUOTE ]
Great post. I still don't like reading "bet/raise to get info," but I trust you mean that you're just getting incidental info after a bet/raise for value.

[/ QUOTE ]
you assume correctly. Im trying to think of a good example and what keeps popping into my head is situations where we raise on the flop when some relatively passive donk bets into us, get 3 bet and then same guy donks the scary turn.

I find that these spots I speak of usually come about when my bet/raise was also done to eliminate players, given bad odds for draws, isolate some predictable fish and/or protect marginal/ok hands

[ QUOTE ]
I have a WTSD of 36, is that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
if your W$SD is like 42-48 with this W2SD then I dont think is great and taht you may be able to identify spots where you should have folded. If you W$SD is somethink like 55-58% then your are running hot.

in short for me my W2SD was around 36 and my W$SD was NEVER above 50. It was always in the 45-48 range over a decent sample. However now, My W2SD has decreased a point or so and it was (over a certan sample size) even <32 at one point but then I hit that 300BB streak and both numbers have risen. When my streak ends, that will be a good test to see where the number goes.

Regarding btspiders FAQ, I follow that closely. For me and the games I play in I think 31-32 is reasonable. if I got my W2SD to like 28 I think I would be making too many incorrect big laydowns.

Now, if your W2SD isnt 32 then there may not be great cause for alarm IF you W$SD is reasonable and/or you have a nice win rate. Remember that it is just a stat....a stat which for me turned out to be a clear indicator of a leak. Plug the leak...fix the stat. word.

What I find is that on the better tables
1. pots can be bigger which means calling more bets on the river with marginal hands
2. you get more free showdowns (sometimes I think 'ty for the free SD but you sir are a [censored] for not value betting when I would have folded and my W2SD just got worse. lol)

[ QUOTE ]
You, and some other posters, have extolled the value of learning to play short handed and learning to play HU. I have bitten the bullet as far as short handed goes and feel like I am making progress at learning it by playing a few K hands of 6-max. I agree that it is helpful in some ways with playing FR. I haven't brought myself to HU yet (except in NL SnG's the more of that I get the better I like it of course) but as far as trying to learn HULHE what do you think is the value and how does it help a persons game overall. Perhaps you and other posters might expand on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think playing HU for nano stakes is quite important and is sort of a crash course. Pure HU play isnt quite the same as when you get into blind defence spots in FR or 6max but they are similar.

regarding posts, all I can think of off the top of my head is some post str8fish made during/after the recent HULA or to visit the HeadsUp forum.

however, for practical purposes, I think you just HAVE to play some HU for real. If not HU then 5-6handed games. HULA was great for HU so be sure to play next time Wookie runs it. Stars used to have 2c/4c HU games but not anymore. doh.