View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Official September Thread: General Discussion, whining .. etc

I agree w/ most of what DLizzle has said.

I know I'm not as smart as most of you college kids, but I still LOL at the blanket "I'm gonna graduate, get a good job and make billions" attitudes.

Being brilliant and working your ass off helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

We've all seen graphs/simulations of good players running well below their expectation for ridiculous amounts of time.
I'm convinced the same thing happens in life.
You have to work hard, but you have to run good too.
It's as much about working hard as it is about meeting the right person at the right time, or having the right idea at the right time, etc.
There is a lot of CHANCE involved in life.

Or maybe this is just my excuse for not being a millionaire at age 27.

What I do know now that I did not know in college:
-Working in an office SUCKS. I hate it and never want to go back.
-Working for someone else SUCKS. You lose all sense of pride of your work and motivation.
-Making a [censored] of money in the business world won't necessarily make you happy. A lot of this point has to do with the fact that to make a [censored] in the business world, the business has to become your world. I worked with a lot of people who made a lot of money, but their whole worlds' were their jobs. It made me sick. Def not worth it.

I now make a decent wage (by American population standards) playing poker. I love every day of my life now. I was depressed and hated everything before I quit my job. It sucked the life out of me. (I was a computer programmer working 40 hrs a week. Not too bad. But I still HATED it.) I would not go back to work at my not-bad job for double the wage that I make now playing poker. Still not worth it.