View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Who has seen Sherrybaby? [Spoilers]

I loved this movie too. I rented it because of Barcalounger's comment in the movie thread. Just outstanding performances all the way around and I can't praise it enough. There's an unusual authenticity to this film, as if we are watching a documentary of a real life family. Painful and quite cringe-worthy in many places. Definitely not a feel good movie but man did I admire the director for how he shot each and every scene.

Barcalounger made this comment in his post:

"I understand the difficult job of getting the audience to sympathize with a lead character like this, but honestly can't somebody just suck at life? Why do they always have to have an excuse for their behavior thrown in there?"

Your thoughts on this? He's commenting on the scene that you liked so much. While I agree with you that the entire sequence is well directed, I sort of see Baraclounger's point here. There are so many women out there who are just immature and suck at life without having had anything like this act committed against them. I wonder if the plot point was truly necessary to advance the story.

I was cringing well before the birthday party scene as Sherry kept hanging on her dad and wanting his attention. I actually have met a couple girls in my life who sort of behaved this way only not to such a degree. I thought there was a lot of truth in it and certainly one of the finest performances on film I've ever seen.