View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Could you speed walk a mile in 10min??? Drunk Prop Bet.

[ QUOTE ]
voters saying impossible,

What do you think is the limiting factor here? Endurance? Being DQ'ed for "running" for one step? Or just that walking that fast isn't possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, walking that fast is definitely not impossible.
Speed-walkers can easily do that.
For someone untrained in speed-walking though it's too fast.

I'm familiar with how fast someone needs to move to run a 9-10 minute mile because that's roughly my pace if I run for longer than 1 mile and I just don't think it's as slow a pace as this guy thinks.

It's pretty slow compared with some guy booking around the track in under 6 minutes obviously. But this is NOT a regular walking pace and isn't really even close.
I'm thinking this guy thinks just a brisk walk would be close to a 10-minute mile and I just don't believe that's correct.

If he does this without practicing at all and has no idea what the pace needs to be it is my guess that he's going to start out walking relatively fast thinking that he's doing just fine and that after the first lap he's already going to be at 3+ mins and will not be able to recover. I might be wrong though. Maybe he takes a watch with him so he can monitor his pace and give himself a chance.

But that's a big key to this. He has never done it before and has very little idea exactly what a 10-minute-mile pace is.