View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: MMA and Boxing Fights of the Year

[ QUOTE ]
I love to see expert groundwork, but this fight is a bad example. Both Rampage and Dan are excellent wrestlers but they're not amazing when put on their backs. Look at their record, they've rarely finished a fight in that position or pulled off a submission from side control or half-guard. They're good at maintaining position, ground and pound, and defending ground and pound. That doesn't make a great fight! There are many more fights with BJJ experts that were far more exciting technically speaking (anything with KenFlo, Huerta, Filho.).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all a matter of opinion. though. Just because you find more BJJ-oriented ground work more exciting than wrestling/GNP, doesn't mean everyone does.

I enjoy watching elite mixed martial artists go at it. Henderson/Jackson is in the top 5 fights of the year in terms of the level and ability of the two fighters. While the fight may not have been as aesthetically pleasing as a more BJJ-oriented fight, they both stayed active on the top and bottom, attempting subs, sweeps, and improving position. The added historical importance of unifying the UFC Light Heavyweight and Pride Middleweight titles pushes a solid fight into a FOTY candidate for me.