View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: A Story, A Hypothetical, And A Question:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He choose to kill innocents instead of those that droped the bombs, but in a way, a large way, we're all guilty, so he wasn't so far from targeting the right killers.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are we 'all' guilty? Nobody I know personally has killed any Iraquis, nobody I know (or, almost nobody) supports the war in Iraq, supports Bush, voted for Bush, etc etc etc. How could people who are ooposed to war and who didn't participate in the actual killings (or in the ordering of said killings) of innocent people be 'guilty'?

[/ QUOTE ]

By the same logic used to say the people in Hiroshima were guilty of Japan's deeds and the people of Dresden were guilty of Hitler's deeds and the people of Tripoli were guilty of Qaddafi's deeds. I'm not saying we're guilty. But those who justify the deaths of foreign civilians must use the same logic when applied to Americans.

Edit: You brought up anti-war folks. Lets put them aside. Does the pro-war side have some guilt when it comes to supporting the war? Without the support of millions of flag-waving Americans, we wouldn't still be there. So is an attack on these people any more or less justified than an attack on an Iraqi neighborhood which doesn't oppose the local militia? Food for thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

moral equivalency raises its ugly head again