View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Default What to do when the table makes no sense.

So the place I play often in NY has some loose players. But recently, the play has gotten much looser with people just making all kinds of plays that percentage wise should never have been made in the first place. I feel that everyone is watching High Stakes Poker a little too much and just trying to play big stack not realizing that most of the time the successful players are making high percentage plays, not wild bluffs.

Recently at a 1-2NL game, the player to my right, who was on a roll and had worked 200 into about 800 said "don't get mad when I suck out on you" to the player who had just made a $15 raise into a $35 raise. The raiser calls. On a 3-5-6 rainbow flop the original raiser bets out 50. Guy to my right calls. Next card is a K, original goes all in for another 150, the boaster calls. River is a 4. Boaster turns over 2d-7d for the straight, original raiser had A-K.

So my question is, when people are just playing any garbage and hoping it hits, it does make it harder to play solid. Yes, I could just tighten up completely and only play high pairs and AK type hands. But I am not playing 1-2NL to play one out of every 50 hands. And since people are playing almost anything, it seems that playing more hands could be beneficial.

Any strategies that anyone want to share about sitting at a wild table?