View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Bryce is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
hey bryce, why do you prefer 3-4 hande over 6max...thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

More action, more interaction, and because the hand ranges that you're dealing with are typically wider there are less trivial decisions.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, exactly my problem. So how do you approach this flop then? do you assume a flop action (cc seems reasonable) and solve for different turn+river combos? Obviously opponents' strategies are fluid IRL, but do you use a generic static strategy and try to find optimal line vs. that strat

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are two ways to look at poker questions. Firstly, you can approach them from an exploitative angle, meaning that you're going to try and find the line with the highest rate of return based on what you think your opponent is likely to do, which is generally pretty straightforward.

The other thing you can look at is an optimal solution, meaning that you take a particular question and find the line that would have the highest possible rate of return if your opponent played perfectly against your range (note: not your actual cards). Note that an "optimal" line will always have a lower rate of return than an exploitative line, so the term is a bit misleading. If you're wanting to get started with mathematical stuff you'll almost certainly start off in the exploitative area, and once you get pretty fluent with that "optimal" questions may start popping up out of curiosity. Finding optimal lines is not only extremely helpful in helping you understand the game and see where the money is actually going but also really helps you understand what the rates of return are like on manipulating your opponent's frequencies in information saturated environments, which can give you a killer edge.

[ QUOTE ]
What was your party screennames before oktober last year ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freedom25 and then no_hitlers when I switched the a new affiliate (the name is tasteless, but came from an inside joke). I only played on Party for around 2-3 months.

[ QUOTE ]
1) AA and KK, in a headsup match... do they make more or less than at a full ring table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The average pot in a HU game is something like 4.5BB, whereas the average pot in a ring game is way larger. You'll win a ton of pots with AA and KK HU, but your average rate of return will be lower than in a ring game. I think this answers both your questions.