View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Something is Rotten in the State of Denmark

This hand arises Level 1 of the 5000 Euro (~US$7000) EPT Barcelona main event. Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every hour, we have 10K chips to start.

Early into the third orbit, the table’s been playing tight, and I have yet to enter a pot. UTG min-raises to 100, and I make it 350 in MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A young Danish woman to my immediate left looks at her cards, looks at me, smiles, looks back at her cards, and calls. It folds around to UTG, who calls.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG checks, I bet 600, and Ann starts shuffling her chips. She studies the board, looks at me, checks her cards, counts off some chips, checks her cards again, and finally raises to 3000. UTG folds. She has ~3500 behind after betting, I have ~9000.

Obviously after like 20 hands it's hard to have much of a read, but this woman seemed to be moderately loose and aggressive and generally decent but not great. She'd been involved in more than her fair share of pots, but had always employed small bets and raises. This large bet seemed completely out of sync with everything else she'd done, but again, this is very early in the tournament, so that's not saying much.