View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: jimmy rollins is a yambag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love the annual bashing of the MVP winner by stat-heads who would prefer they just hand the trophy to the guy with the highest WARP or VORP or whatever statistical baseline they prefer

[/ QUOTE ]

Not whatever statistical baseline they prefer. Thats what the actual voters are doing. What the statheads would like is for them to hand the award to whichever guy maxes out the statistical baseline(s) that are objectively best as per correlation to winning.

Its a pretty significant difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure 4/5 of this board sees the world in Neo vision from "The Matrix" ... just a series of green letters and numbers

<font color="green">P E C O T A j i m m y r o l l i n s 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / 2 0 / b a s e b a l l s h o u l d n e v e r e v e r b e e n j o y e d u n d e r a n y c i r c u m s t a n c e s V O R P / W A R P / z o m g s o m e o n e k n o w s a b o u t S A B E R M E T R I C S i j u s t c a m e i n m y p a n t s </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

4/5 of the world does. They just use bad numbers. This is the biggest fallacy of the whole conversation. Guys who make decisions on "just watching the games" or who shun "all that stathead stuff" are doing the exact same thing as all the statheads are doing it. They are just basing it on bad numbers. Instead of recording EVERY play someone makes, they record only the plays they remember. Instead of consistently applying rules, they apply them however they see fit. But they are still crunching numbers. They are doing the exact same thing as all the statheads are doing, they are just doing it in a really [censored] way.