View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Ask Sooga about being a high school math teacher.. ugh

[ QUOTE ]
If you're interested in becoming a teacher but don't want to go through the hassle of getting certified, you can always apply for jobs at private schools. They can hire people that the state can't, and they don't mind hiring people without teaching experience as long as you are personable and friendly.

Actually I can't speak for other private schools but that's how my middle school and high school worked - everyone has to have their contract renewed yearly so they don't mind taking a chance by hiring an inexperienced teacher.

edit: you can't unionize though and parents can be a real bitch to deal with, and pay tends to be a little lower. But kids tend to be better behaved and more interested, so it's really a trade off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may go this route. I'm most interested in teaching Physics or Computer Science but Math and Chemistry are also possible (Got a BS in Electrical Engineering). I'm definitely willing to make those trade-offs. My friend teaches middle school science in a private school. He only works about 155 days a year, and has only a few fairly small, sometimes less than 10 kids. The pay is not bad especially when you factor in the shorter school year.