View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: NFL Developmental league....Thoughts???

I've always wondered why they don't have a full on 32 team minor league system. They could play the games on Wedensday night. There'd be plenty of support locally, much like minor league baseball. As for the efficency of the market, I hear quite often that so and so was signed this week from his local grocery store. The other negative is, guys on your practice squad can be signed away by any other team. Most players are going to improve over time. It sucks when a team has to cut its third round pick of that year because he's not ready and they don't have a spot on the roster.

I'd think it would be worth it just for the development of the QB. There's so much attrition at that positioin, there aren't enough QBs to go around. Part of that problem is, there are only 32 starting spots, so only 32 guys get to gain experience after college. A minor league system would let 32 more get game experience. The quality of play would be better than NCAA, but not as good as the NFL. They can play by NFL rules so there's no issue there. They'd run their parent teams playbook, so that would help out. Do you think Brady Quinn would be getting better playing in a league that has better talent than the NCAA or taking snaps with the second team in practice? He'd also be a huge draw.