View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Default Re: two big pots with AQ

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1 I think you should bet turn. And there are many reasons. Good players will check behind with one spade and bet to protect the pot with a hand that has you beat. The worst hand that will bet the turn is top pair and you fail to build the pot against that hand.
If you checkraise what hand that you beat is going to call you? Bad risk/reward here IMO.

Hand #2 Calling on flop is the only option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here 100% regarding hand #1 for not only the reasons given, but also because since you are committing your stack, betting that 3rd spade now is in fact more often likely to elicit a semi-bluff raise allowing you to checkraise allin, whereas a check will most often elicit a check behind. Even though you are out of position, you simply cannot let a 4th spade or straight card or broadway card making him 2 pair, fall cheap.

Hand #2, I agree with smooth calling the raise on the flop. However, if you check a blank on the turn, he will often check behind as well with a worse ace. So after smoothcalling, I would bet out on the turn 2/3 of the pot. If you are raised there as well, then you have to make a decision whether he would do so with a worse hand and act accordingly.