View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: 200 NL - Flopped top set. How do i get maximum value?

[ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? We give ourselves a chance to win a bet and a raise from QQ by c/ring. He can call a c/r with QQ for sure and with Kings and Aces, he almost certainly doesn't fold to a c/r. And again, the purpose of c/ring isn't "to maximize value from QQ". It's to maximize value from his range which includes a bunch of no-pair hands that won't call a bet but might bet themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is willing to call a c/r on the river, why is he checking behind on the turn? Do you think this opponent sees himself as trapping with QQ or JJ? wouldnt our c/r be viewed as a very strong hand? Yes, I agree checking the river induces some bluffing. But wouldnt a river bet induce a bluff over the top at times too, given our check on the turn? We get a much larger amount of money in on a bluff, albeit less often. Weigh that against the loss of money we dont get from Q-Q and J-J when they check behind on the river. Its guess work for which line maximizes profits, i just hate leaving it up to an opponent in position to bet my hand for me, especially if he hasnt shown much aggression in the hand. He either isnt confident in his hand strength, or views himself as trapping. Both suggest we lead the river for a value bet.