View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: AK heads-up from sb, 130 BB deep

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check raising the turn is pretty bad normally, if you're willing to play for stacks you might as well 3 bet the flop then at least if he 4 bets you can be pretty damn sure you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]So you suggest 3-betting the flop for information? That may be the best move, although it does mean I'm playing a very big pot with one pair, when I'd really prefer to show down.

I'm thinking I'm ahead 80-90% of the time on the flop. Only losing to A7, A5, 55 or 77 (AA or 75 unlikely). I didn't 3-bet because I want to get value from a worse Ace or a bluff, which may fold to a 3-bet. This may be bad logic but that's what I was thinking.

Slava_Sky - how do you think he plays a hand like AT? Isn't this a very good flop for a bluff-raise? This is a great flop for AK heads-up - if you fold to a raise here, you might as well fold pre-flop. I don't mind my flop play although later streets might be questionable.

FWIW he bluffed the previous hand by raising UTG with 85s and firing 3 barrels into 2 people with no pair no draw and was called down by someone who slowplayed QQ pre-flop. I don't think it's massively relevant although I'd certainly be steaming if I were him.

I'm now thinking, maybe a big ace (AK-AJ) re-raises pre-flop, and a smaller Ace will just call this flop, although it's also possible he's raising a smaller Ace for value or to see where he's at. Hard to know really. I think you have to at least call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check raising the turn isn't getting you to showdown cheaply.